Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Poetry Response in Verse

A length of poetry was assigned
twenty pages give or take
I thought of how best to respond
now you're reading my mistake

Reginald Shepherd we read in class
and for him I've no more words
and of the few I didn't understand
the authors feelings I looked for

Three Japanese poems were
among those I liked the best
perhaps, interestingly enough,
they were clearer then the rest

Shakespeare and Ted Berrigan
I found unbearable
Dickinson and Mullen
were much more palatable

Langston Hughes I found I have
begun to appreciate and what's more
consideration has been given to
reading his work outside the classroom's door

Prose above verse has always been
my general inclination
this exercise perhaps shows why
for my verse is pedestrian

No comments:

Post a Comment